Youth Learn-to-Row (LTR)
4 - 2 hour sessions
Chris started rowing as a walk on in college at Northeastern University in Boston. He fell in love with collegiate rowing and one of his claims was he won every regular season competitive race from his freshman to senior years. His junior year, his varsity crew won the prestigious Eastern Sprints in the heavyweight varsity where in won over 20 other college competitors racing shirts that day. Chris has rowed numerous times at the Henley Royal Regatta in Henley England and during his same junior year made it to the finals of the Grand Challenge Cup only to lose to the Russian National team. Chris has been involved in rowing and rowing related activities for over 50 years now.
About the course
This is a learn to sweep rowing for all middle school and high school athletes that want to try out rowing for the first time. This course will include both on-land and on-water activities. Key elements of the program include the following.
(1) FUNdamentals of rowing with terminology and principals
(2) Land program with video teaching and rowing machine training to learn mechanics
(3) User’s manual
(4) FUNdamentals of the rowing stroke
(5) Rowing and boat safety
(6) On water technique and practice as a crew – with coach teaching from a coach boat
(7) Let's make sure to have fun
Things to bring to the training
1. wear athletic shorts and shirts that are tighter fitting to the body. Loose clothing in a rowing boat can cause a hand or finger to catch the loose fabric during the rowing stroke.
2. Hat and sunglasses, sunscreen, water bottle.
3. Water shoes, boats are launched by stepping in the water
4. You will need to sign a PCRC Risk Acknowledgement Waiver before you can start the class. Form attached to the course link.
The price of this program provides one month of a youth membership free within 6-months of the youth completing this LTR program.
All youth participants of this class will receiving a free PCRC T-shirt
You will come away at the end of the class having a good appreciation for the sweep rowing stroke and how to row as a team with others in a boat.